Me and my boyfriend love watching basketball, specifically, NBA. Period. San Antonio Spurs are playing today? DID YOU SAY SAN ANTONIO SPURS?! Will we watch the game? You betcha! We are huge lovers of NBA, 100% devoted and ready to put aside our jobs, studies and even sacrifice our precious sleeping time in the name of the Game! However, there’s one part of an equation which cannot be removed even if the game is about to start. And of course you know what it is.. Duhh.. Cooking!
So only an hour before the game we realised there’s no junk food in the house! Panic took over, haha. Then I ripped off my clothes and underneath there was a Superman’s costume, I raised my finger to the sky and proudly announced ‘This looks like a job for Super Hungry Bae!’. Oh, wait.. No no no.. Wrong scenario. I think I actually opened the fridge, found a piece of custard cheese and thought about the outcomes I could get by preparing it.
The custard cheese barely survived the first quarter of the game. I was very astonished with the results – the cheese turned out to be so moist, springy and that’s only the top of an iceberg! The taste was very subtile because of the combination of fresh natural honey, thyme and ground chilli. I’m usually not a big fan of sweet and savory but this cheese really did the trick! I was so into it that I missed the half of the first quarter, now that’s what you don’t see very often! I highly recommend to try this with wine or beer, such a pity I did’t have neither one of them.
Once again the day was saved by Hungry Bae!
Honey & Chilli Custard Cheese
- custard cheese
- ground chilli
- cashew nuts
- 1. Make sure your knife is really sharp. Cut the cheese lengthwise and widthwise, but DO NOT cut through the bottom.
- 2. Prepare the marinade. Melt honey. Add salt, thyme and ground chilli to the honey and mix well.
- 3. Pour the honey mixture on the cheese and disperse it well.
- 4. Put aside and let rest for an hour or more. You can skip this step if you are in a hurry, however, cheese with absorbed marinade turns out way better.
- 5. Wrap the cheese in foil and bake for about 20 minutes in 200°C.
- 6. Open the top of the foil, sprinkle some chopped cashew nuts. Turn on the grill mode and bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden brown.